Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Let the Transformation Begin


Last night, I bought the first piece of equipment that will help Val and I cross the finish line at next year's Livestrong Challenge - a Star Trac V-Bike.
Upon getting the bike home and adjusting the seat and bars, Val and I were ready to give it a spin. Val put in a nice and brisk 30 minutes. I followed up with a brisk 30 mins with 4 minute climbing intervals (my bike lingo may be primitive, but I'll pick up on things as I go). Tonight, after softball, I'll be doing another quick 30 minutes, and I expect to be in fully intense riding sessions by early next week.

I've found one problem, however. With the bike being a spinner - fully mechanical, not electrical - I currently have no way knowing what my speed or cadence is. I'm not sure if adding meter to the wheel is going to work, or if it's even possible. So right now I'm only able to judge my riding sessions by my heart rate, my stopwatch, and the ever so reliable exertion scale method used when running.

Nonetheless, I will prevail. I'm not training to be competitive or anything. I just want to be able to safely ride the Livestrong Challenge.

As time goes on, I will keep posting on my training progress.


No comments: